Definition and Social Function of Spoof
Spoof is a text which tells factual story, happened in the past time with unpredictable and funny ending. Its social function is to entertain and share the story.
Generic Structure of Spoof
- Orientation; is a opening part which tells us the issue or the problem that will be solved or told in the story. Orientation gives us the important thing about the characters and their problems.
- Events; parts where the story explained into paragraphs that linked each other. Events are not limited into one or two scene or act. Events also adds more specific problems that happened, explains how the problems raise, and the dilema.
- Twist; will be explained in the next page. Twist can only be found in spoof texts.
Language Feature of Spoof
- Focusing on people, animals or certain things.
- Using action verb; ate, ran, etc.
- Using adverb of time and place.
- Told in chronological order.
Contoh Spoof Text :
That phone is off
Soon after he left college, Dave found one of his uncles who was very rich and had no children of his own died and left him a lot of money, so he decided to set up his own real estate agency.
Dave found a nice office. He bought some new furniture and moved in. he had only been there for e few hours when he heard someone coming toward the door of his office.
“It must be my first customer,” Dave thought. He quickly picked up the telephone and pretended to be very busy answering an important call from someone in New York who wanted to buy a big and expensive house in the country.
The man knocked at the door while this was going on. He came in and waited politely for Dave to finish his conversation on the phone. Then the man said to Dave; “I am from the telephone company and I was sent here to connect your telephone.”