Some 25 million South Koreans — about half the population — travel abroad at least once a year, but it’s safe to assume that most haven’t seen all the beautiful sights within the country.
Seoul only takes up a mere 0.6 percent of South Korea’s territory: here are 50 stunning photographs from the other 99.4 percent of the country that are all worth a visit.
Here are the flowery spring landscapes, sandy beaches, rocky mountains and quietly stunning historic sites on your new Korean travel bucket list. And just in case you were wondering, they are in no particular order. Feel free to add some suggestions of your own in the comment box at the end of the article.
1. Seongsan Sunrise Peak (성산일출봉)
Hydrovolcanic eruptions formed this majestic volcanic crater 5,000 years ago on Jeju Island.
A UNESCO world heritage site, the peak is famous for many things, including numerous rare plant species, but is best known for the magnificent sight of the sun rising over it (hence the name).
The climb up the peak’s northwest side ridge (its other sides are steep cliffs) to the 180-meter highest point takes 30 minutes.
1 Seongsan-ri, Seongsan-eup, Seogwipo, Jeju Special Self-Governing Province (제주특별자치도서귀포시 성산읍 성산리 1번지) Continue reading